Cal ROCKS (Reaching Out for Catholic Kinship) Newman Club is a student-based organization which was created by Catholic students to foster fellowship and prayer among Christian University students. As as a part of the campus ministry program at California University, we are centered around the Sacraments of the Catholic Church and all students, regardless of denomination, are welcome to learn and participate in fellowship and prayer as we strive to create a Catholic-Christian community on campus.
In 2006, a group of Catholic students came together to found an official Catholic organization on the California University campus called, "Cal ROCKS," which is an acronym that stands for "Reaching Out for Catholic Kinship." They petitioned the university and they were granted club status through SAI. Each year the club grew in numbers and diversified in ministries. In 2011, the Catholic Community at California University was recognized by the Diocese of Pittsburgh and was given the title "Newman" club. Founded upon St. John Henry Newman, Catholic-Christians all over the United States look to Newman Centers at secular Colleges and Universities to participate in the Life of the Church on campus. Currently, all Catholic ministries and outreach are unified under the Cal ROCKS Newman Club to better serve the spiritual needs of our students, faculty, and staff.
- Holy Mass - The Liturgy is celebrated on Sunday evenings at 7:00 pm in the 206/207 conference room found in the Natali Center.
- Adoration - Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament occurs after most Sunday evening Liturgies (206/207 Natali Center) and during the week at St. Thomas Aquinas Parish while at discipleship prayer.
- Confessions - Are held after every Sunday evening Mass and can also be schedule privately with the Chaplain. Please contact the chaplain. (left hand column)
- Spiritual Direction - This is a form of counseling that takes into consideration the physical, psychological, and spiritual dimensions of a student. Those seeking spiritual guidance, can contact the chaplain. (left hand column)
- RCIA - Those interested in discerning the possibility of becoming Catholic, through Baptism or full initiation into the Faith, please contact the chaplain. Cal ROCKS offers the RCIA program, which stands for the "Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults." The process starts in the fall semester and ends in the spring semester at the Easter Vigil.
- Bible Studies - Every semester one or more Catholic Bible Studies are offered during the week. Come and see Scripture come alive as students share their faith. These Bible Studies are offered during the week nights.
- Catholic Prayer Groups - Multiple prayer groups have formed at California University to pray the Rosary and other Catholic Devotions together. Some groups use social media to stay in contact, while others meet on campus. During the nicer climates, rosary walks are schedule around the campus.
- Women's Groups - Founded upon prayer and community, female students meet on a weekly basis to support one another. Each small group meets accordingly to the student's schedule.
- Men's Groups - Founded upon prayer and community, male students meet on a weekly basis to support one another. Each small group meets accordingly to the student's schedule.
- Discipleship Groups - Those Christians who desire to live their faith to the fullest by mentoring others in the faith and preaching the Good News of Jesus Christ, meet on a weekly basis to pray together in Adoration and to discern their ministries.
- Theology on Tap - This event is scheduled periodically throughout the semester at a local bar and grill and anyone over the age of 18 may attend. At theology on tap, different theological concepts are discussed over food and drink in an open forum.
- Weekend Retreats - Cal ROCKS hosts an annual weekend retreat during the fall semester where students travel off campus to a local retreat house. Food, housing, and transportation are included in the minimal costs of the retreat. Individual weekend retreats are sponsored in the spring semester by outside organizations. Those interested in any type of retreat, please contact the chaplain to find out more information.
- Festival of Praise - These events include praise and worship music and Adoration. They are scheduled throughout the fall and spring semesters and these festivals take place at Saint Vincent College and at California University.
- Mission Trips - At a student's initiative, Cal ROCKS will support and contribute to the success of a domestic or international mission trip. Those interested can receive additional fundraising money and donations from local parishes. These trips usually take place over fall, winter, spring, and summer breaks.
- Supporting a Family at Christmas - In the fall semester, Cal ROCKS sponsors a local family who is in need of additional resources during the holidays. Fundraising events and parish donations go towards helping a local family.
- Children's Hospital Outreach - In the spring semester, Cal ROCKS hosts the annual "Cal U Spring Fling" event at Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh. The club raises enough money to pay for a stuffed animal, book bag, water bottle, and additional items for every child in the hospital. Students are encouraged to participate in any way possible to make this event successful.
A Student's Prayer (by St. Thomas Aquinas)
Come, Holy Spirit, Divine Creator, true source of light and fountain of wisdom! Pour forth your brilliance upon my dense intellect, dissipate the darkness which covers me, that of sin and of ignorance. Grant me a penetrating mind to understand, a retentive memory, method and ease in learning, the lucidity to comprehend, and abundant grace in expressing myself. Guide the beginning of my work, direct its progress, and bring it to successful completion. This I ask through Jesus Christ, true God and true man, living and reigning with You and the Father, forever and ever. Amen
Sundays during the semester
7:00 pm at Natali Center
(Conference Room 206/207)
Fr. Mike Zavage
Phone: (724) 938-3204
Dr. Cheryl Hettman
Dr. Paul Crawford